“Everyone should try Shiatsu, at least once”
On this page …
In Shiatsu we use gentle pressure, stretches, holding, joint mobilizations and rocking. In this way Shiatsu is a little like massage. However, Shiatsu also works with the energetic condition of the body helping to re-energize weak areas, relax tension and bringing harmony to body and mind.
This means that your body can transform physically, mentally, emotionally and energetically, helping you change patterns that make you feel ill, stiff or stuck.
What you can expect from me in your Shiatsu treatment
- I will hold with presence and heart whatever you come through the door with, bringing myself to be with you in your struggle, pain, joy.
- I will listen to you without expectation or judgement.
- I aim to meet your symptoms exactly as they are without trying to “fix you” or “make you better”. together we can explore to find a deeper more body felt sense of what is happening for you, this in itself often facilitates healing and change.
- I will come to you as an equal, not someone claiming to have all the answers, these we will find together. I will, however, bring my knowledge of meridians, points, Chinese medicine, and many years of experience as a practitioner. These will inform my intuitive and improvised treatment which will be different each time, and I hope alive in each moment.
“Kirsty is intuitive, gentle, compassionate, wise and a very gifted healer”
Here is a short video, created by the Shiatsu Society, to help you understand more about what Shiatsu is.
Benefits of Shiatsu
Independent research carried out at the university of Leeds finds that:
- 89% of Shiatsu receivers felt calmer and more relaxed.
- 86% said that Shiatsu was effective in treating stress and tension, structural and postural problems, low energy and fatigue.
- Up to 60% of Shiatsu receivers slept better.
- Shiatsu receiver’s symptoms were significantly reduced during the 6-month study.
- Shiatsu receivers had a reduced usage of conventional medicine.
- Overall, Shiatsu receivers adopted a more relaxed, healthier and balanced approach to life.
What is Qi?
The basic idea behind Shiatsu is to help the body adjust itself by helping the Qi to function.
Qi (sometimes spelled ‘Chi’ or ‘Ki’) is our life-force. Qi provides the energy for all our life processes. Western science cannot explain aspects of our life force in the way that Chinese wisdom does. This is one of the reasons why oriental therapies can so often help when Western medicine has not been able to.
Deep Abdominal treatment
Our abdomen is a deeply unconscious part of our body, and many of us hold tension here, or hidden emotions. This can cause all sorts of problems, IBS, constipation, bloating, PMS, depression, lack of self-esteem.
This treatment will reconnect you with your belly. I work on a deep level with your physical organs, meridians, fascia, and breath to help you to begin to feel more of what is happening in this area of your body…this gives it the chance to transform.
This is a very popular treatment at Sura Detox retreats, where I practice once a month, and can be used if you are detoxing at home, but it is also very beneficial if you are not fasting.